My thoughts on this online craze contest – how it all got started, the fun experience, the mad race and lessons learned (post mortem lang sa makaka-relate! :p)
How it all got started?
I was Facebooking one lazy afternoon and I’m supposed to catch up on some sleep because I’ll be working later that night. But then I’m wasting my precious hours doing non-productive stuff instead of achieving the healthy 8-hr sleeping time.
These online ads appearing at the sides caught my attention. I don’t know. Could it be the nature of my work that I’m being too observant? Or is it just the EXTREME Boredom I’m feeling that day? Anyway to make the story short, I joined this online Valentine contest wherein all you have to do is to submit a nice looking picture of you and your partner and that’s it. Easy, no frills contest. Aha! And it’s very timely too. I’ve got tons of pictures sitting in my hard disk so why not give a shot, nothing to lose anyway.
The Fun Experience
Joining is easy, winning the contest is a different question. Since it’s an “Online Popularity Contest”, you need to have a LARGE network of friends and acquaintances in order to win. How are we gonna do that? Considering we’re both low-key people in our respective schools and work. That’s the challenge! I have to bug every single person in my list to vote for us. I just can imagine the annoyance and the “Hell-WTF-I-don’t-care” expression in their faces. I seek help, left and right, to achieve the win. See, it’s just like running for nationwide elections! Many people were asking about the prize and I just say “Free Dinner” – that’s it! PG-ness at its finest! Akala ng lahat may cash prize, well…wala po! hehehe
The Mad Race
Thanks to our dearly VERY supportive friends and families who gave their 100% support for this ‘Valentines Contest a.k.a Feeding-Program-for-Darwin-and-Kim Contest‘. I think they are even more excited than we do. We maintained the lead all throughout. Kung kinareer ng contestants, mas kinareer lang ng supporters! hahaha According to the PR Guru herself, Ms. Sharlene Santos “Neng, be aggressive. Pakapalan ng fezlak lang yan.” Pakak! Perfect!
Thank You to…
- My family – Na sinakyan ang kalokohan nitong pa contest na ito. Sa aking parents na nag text brigade sa kani-kanilang mga katrabaho, sa mga respective kamag-anak from both sides, sa Palawan at Quezon province. Akalain niyong aabot sa probinsya ang botohang ito, NATIONWIDE ELECTIONS lang nga di ba?! Sa aking kapatid at sa kaniyang GF na all out sa paghakot ng voters sa Eastwood. Ang sweet ni kapatid sa pag promote – “PATULONG NAMAN SA KAPATID KO TRIP NYA LANG. SALAMAT” *hahaha*
- Darwin’s Family – Na all out sa support sa pangangampanya sa amin para daw makapag date kami *hahaha*. Kay Tita Wilma, Dianne, Dianne na pinsan ni Darwin at kay Ate Leslie (na halos isakripisyo na ang kalusugan!)
- Darwin – sa iyong Moral Support *hahaha*. Sa kalagitnaan ng lahat ng kaguluhang nangyayari sa Facebook, napanatali mo ang ‘Grace under Pressure’. Alam kong di sing kapal ng face ko ang face mo pero tinulungan mo pa din ako, thank you sa support – ILY!!! Let’s enjoy the date and ihanda mo na ang mga pambalot. Sa mga housemate nya, ka basketball and their respective partners – Thanks!=)
- My Most Efficient Campaign Managers/PR firm/Poll Watchers/Comelec Officials/Namfrel Reps aka “The Super friends” (Ate Les, Dianne, Dianne Cousin, Reg, Roocie, Kath, Jeng, Sha, Cille, Adhie, Jex, Tin, Roy, Judith, Madam Jen, Badeth, Achi Lucy) – Na naghakot ng boto sa kani kanilang mga opisina at network of friends at mga nagpapanic din nung naaabutan na kami! Mas madami pa yung na contribute nilang boto kesa sa network of friends ko. *hahaha*
- My CS team – Na everyday nagtatanong…”Nanalo na ba kayo?” *hahaha* At kinareer din ang paghakot ng votes (Liz, April, Mitzi)…kaloka!
- My FB friends (Acquaintances, schoolmates, colleagues, relatives, other friends) – Who voted voluntarily, nagpapilit, napilitan, nabulabog, naistorbo, yung mga nag post sa wall nila at yun mga na curious lang – thanksssss!
- Other Voters – Friends of friends, katrabaho ng friends, kapitbahay ng friends, kaklase ng friends, mga pamangkin ni ganito, inaanak ni ganito, yung mga di namin kilala na ngayon ay friends na namin – super thankssss!
- Others – Sa mga “NR”, keber, dedma, mga nagtataka at dedma lang talaga, I know we can’t please you. Thanks for making this contest even more challenging and exciting for us – We won! 😉
Of course, it’s not all about ‘kaartehan’ and the feeding program. This contest made me realize who my true friends really are. Plus, I also gained new friends. For the 711 people who voted and supported us, Thanks x1000000000000!!! Di nasayang ang votes niyo dahil may 2 puso at tiyan na mapapasaya niyo. Nyahahaha! Ikakain na lang namin kayo. 🙂
“If you love to do something, do it 100%. You can’t halfway do something and expect to be successful at it.”
Happy Valentines, spread the love!!!=)
- Q: Bakit kayo nakatalikod?
- A: Kase para di masyado kita yung mukha namin kase kakalat to sa internet for sure. *hahaha*
- Q: Ano premyo? May pera ba?
- A: Wala. Pagkain lang talaga as in free dinner. Why spend if you can win it for free? Sabi nga ng isang commenter, ‘pagkain ang pinaguusapan, kaya seryosohin ito’ *hahaha*
- Q: San ba yung dinner, masarap ba dun?
- A: Di ko lam, never been there, 1st time ko lang din nakita sa FB yun. Kesyo masarap sya or hinde, free yan kaya blessing yan. 🙂
- Q: Kinareer mo ba?
- A: Obvious ba?
- Q: Naghihirap na ba kayo kaya kinareer nyo ang promotions?
- A: *hahaha* No, we’re just having fun.