i think i need to be busy to keep my sanity. it starts to get dark very early and not to mention that everything closes early as well so no choice but to stay indoors. nga-nga! good thing i was in the mood to do some little baking last night, just the perfect time for an upcoming bake sale and auction day at work. let’s see if i’m worthy to showcase my goodies. hahaha! good thing, i have a guinea pig husband who is willing to taste my masterpiece, whether he likes it or not. hehehe!
for a change, i baked cookies since i’ve already tried cake, muffin and cupcakes before. i found this recipe of nutella chocolate chip cookies in the internet which i think looks easy for a starter like me.
here’s the ingredients…
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar of Nutella (1 tsp per cookie), chilled in the fridge
course sea salt, for sprinkling on top of cookies
…and how to do it:
1. pre-heat the oven at 170 degrees c and place a baking paper on the oven pan.
2. in a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
3. in a separate bowl in the mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla for 2-3 minutes til texture becomes smooth.
4. slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in alternate and mix to combine.
5. add the chocolate chips too. this is a challenge because my mixer which i just bought at kmart, was struggling to mix the chips with the other ingredients. let’s see if i take this baking seriously and i will buy a better mixer!
6. once the dough is available, get a 1 1/2 tbsp and roll it into a ball. flatten the ball into the palm of your hands.
7. place a teaspoon of chilled Nutella in the middle and fold dough around it. this part is tricky because the Nutella should not seep out of the dough. add more dough if necessary. tapal tapal pag may time.
8. place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and flatten with your hand a bit.
9. bake the cookies 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. they will look a bit underdone when removed from the oven, but they will still continue to cook once out of the oven.
10. cool the cookies on the sheets for at least 2 minutes and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
11. remove the cookies and place in sealed containers and enjoy. 🙂
on a scale of 1-5, i would say 4. the cookie is not hard, the nestle chocolate chip is yummy. i just don’t like the salty part. but what can i do, it’s part of the ingredients! hehe. also, i wish that the nutella oozes out once the cookie is bitten. i should have put more nutella so it will be creamy filled inside. the thing is, once i started balling the dough, both of my hands are messy and the scooping of nutella is a challenge too. so have to make use of my fingers sometimes to manually put the nutella instead of scooping it.
now i know why bakers in panaderya are very macho because it’s hard to mix doughs with both arms. hassle sa muscle level! my mixer is struggling poorly so have to do it the hard way. hahaha!
oh well, i had fun anyway so here’s some cookies for you courtesy of the cookie mother monster. nyahahaha!