it’s labour day monday and unlike most people here in new zealand who are on an out-of-town trip, we just stayed at home. my husband taking a rest and mostly sleeping as he had a tooth extraction while i’m busy cleaning the house left and right. am i nesting!?
while cleaning, i saw a bunch of overripe bananas sitting in the kitchen. i don’t like the idea of throwing them because i don’t want any food going to waste. now i know and understand why my mother always eat the left overs at home when i was a kid because she kept on telling us, “sayang ang pagkain, hinde naman kayo ang bumibili.” now that we’re earning our own money and paying for our own grocery, bills and many other things…every centavo counts. everytime i see that my husband did not eat his lunch and the food i prepared for him, he surely gets a
drama reminder from me “uy bae (BAE talagaaa!?), sayang naman ang pagkain. aga ko gumigising sa umaga, di mo kinakain ang baon mo…” then just like my mother, i always end up eating our days old food so as not to throw them away.
i was thinking of making a banana cake or banana chocolate chip cupcake out of the ripe bananas but then i saw someone in my fb feed tagged by somebody on a photo of a banana nutella cupcakes. hayun nakigaya lang, so there came the inspiration of today’s baking recipe. haha!
1 and 3/4 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
113 grams melted unsalted butter
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
nutella, at room temp
- pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
- on a separate bowl, combine the eggs, butter, mashed bananas & vanilla.
- mix thoroughly the dry and wet ingredients. the batter will look lumpy, this is fine.
- scoop the mixture to the muffin pan, each cup about a size half full.
- take a teaspoon of nutella in each muffin. swirl the nutella into the muffin just making it look like with streaks of chocolate, do not over mix.
- bake for 20 to 25 minutes then remove from the oven.
tara kain na, bahala na ang sugar. haha!
note: credits to thelondoner for the recipe