my hands are itching to bake again. i asked my husband if he’s ok to look after the baby for a couple of hours just so i can do my baking. he’s fine with it. i’m blessed to have a loving and supporting husband who always keeps up with my craziness. 😉
i decided to make a very simple cupcake recipe which is rainbow cupcakes. the food colourings at the shelf are now begging “gamitin mo na kami!“. i think i already made this cupcake before but that was a total disaster because i used regular fresh milk instead of buttermilk which i normally use for baking. it didn’t turn out well and only end up in the rubbish bin.
now, i came up with a better version. i wish i could make the best version but i don’t have enough time to prepare because baby needs to be fed and put to sleep. life now as it turns out,
baby’s sleeping time = mommy’s sleeping time
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- food colouring (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink, violet)
for the buttercream icing
- 200g butter
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- sprinkles for frosting (optional)
- preheat oven to 180c.
- put together the flour, sugar and baking powder. then make a well at the center and put the wet ingredients – buttermilk, vanilla, butter and eggs. mix batter for 4 minutes until well combined.
- divide the batter into equal parts (number of food colourings you have). in my case, i only got four. haha! add a tsp of food colouring into each mixture.
- drop at least a teaspoon of each coloured mixture into each cupcake slot until the tray is full.
- bake for 20 minutes.
- remove from the pan and let it cool for frosting.
- for the icing, beat the butter, vanilla, icing sugar and milk until well combined.
- apply on top of each cooled cupcake.
i said earlier that i can still create the best version because…
- …nakalimutan ko gawin yung icing! i’m in a complete hurry to finish because it’s already past baby’s sleeping time and he’s still awake. slight guilty lang na may time pa ako mag bake pero dapat patulugin na si baby.
- …kulang ang color ng rainbow. hahaha! i only have 4 (red, green, blue, yellow). i remember, di ba tinuro sa art subject ang primary and secondary colors and hindi ko man lang na apply ang knowledge na yun?! red + blue = purple and red + yellow = orange.
there’s always a next time. 🙂
n.b: response to The Daily Post challenge -> Roy G. Biv